Dreading family trips because of the hassle of packing when travelling with kids? We have that covered for you. We have got tips for you the next time you travel with kids.
Travelling with kids can definitely be tiresome especially with a toddler needing extra diapers and a teenager needing ample entertainment, however here is a quick and easy packing guide to help you get started.
- Mosquito repellent – a must-need if travelling with babies, toddlers or young children.
- Disinfectants – especially needed for germaphobic parents
- Bandages and plasters – you never know when you need them!
- Balm (Vicks) – a Sri Lankan household staple
- Generic medicine including paracetamol, vitamin C, brufen, imodium, motilium, digene, eno etc
- Sunscreen – because no one likes to be sunburnt! If you forget sunburn, try to make sure to always have a good aloe vera cream around.
Tech and Entertainment
- Chargers for your devicers
- Battery packs or power banks
- Tablet/DVD player/MP3 or MP4 player – to keep a toddler entertained at a dinner buffet!
- Game boards – that can be a really great family activity
- Activity books – colouring, reading based on the age or for all ages
Other Essentials (non-daily wear)
These few items come in handy to protect family members from unexpected weather disasters. One can never be too prepared.
- Hoody or sweater
- Cap or hat
- Food and drinks – biscuits, sweets and various other snacks to feed hungry kids (and adults between meals)
- Water bottle or reusable bottle to fill out water (the latter for sustainable travel tips!)
- Reusable cups, plates and cutlery (to feed hungry kids and adults en route to the destination)
The clothes you can will vary based on the ages of the kids and location of travel. Always select your type of luggage based on the method transportation. Packing correctly will definitely contribute to the parents having a very much stress-free journey.
Where to go?
This is generally the big question. When travelling with infants or grade school kids a beach holiday is always a great idea. With Sri Lanka being a little island, no one would run out of beaches to travel to. Also, a beach holiday destination is never too far away to travel to. If you have slightly older children, an educational trip can be a good idea. It’s also a better idea to have a quick discussion with kids that are of an understandable age on the location they would prefer to travel to.
Bentota, approximately an hour away from Colombo via Galle road is an ideal family holiday location. The Bentota beach is very family-friendly, less crowded, so you and your family can enjoy some quality time. Apart from the beach and pool you can take river cruise, see a lighthouse (Barberyn Reef), take up water sports activities or a little drive up to visit the turtle hatchery. If you are thinking of family friendly places to stay, we think you hit the jackpot when you select Bentota as your holiday destination. Most Bentota hotels come with five-star amenities including a swimming pool, beach and dining facilities to keep everyone entertained. Time to start making plans for the next school holidays!