When thinking of a mini-holiday downsouth which places come to your mind? Hikkaduwa? Galle? Mirissa? The reason the South of Sri Lanka will always be the first preference of both locals and foreigners is probably due to its sunny beaches, unlimited dining options and entertainment making it the perfect weekend getaway. Moreover, the shorter distance thanks to the Southern expressway only makes things even easier.
If Southern Sri Lanka is some place that is on your holiday list, here is a little bit of insight to what Galle has to offer. The city Galle has to offer the best of both worlds. Whether you want to explore the city like a tourist or just have some quaility R&R, Galle will not disappoint.
Thanks to the expressway, getting to Galle has only become easier. Travelling by public transport too difficult specially if you taking the bus. The options that Galle accommodation has to offer will also leave you spoilt for choice. From luxury stays to homes stays, Galle has it all.
Here are some great ways to spend time in Galle.
- Witness the best of Dutch Colonial architecture including the ramparts of Galle Fort and Groote Kerk Church. The Galle Dutch Fort is also great for romantic strolls especially during sunset. Or don’t feel like walking? Why not dine in one of the many restaurants within the Galle Fort?
- History buff? Visit the many museums in Galle including National Museum, Galle Maritime Archaeology Museum. Here’s a longer list for those interested.
- Fancy some culture and heritage? Visit the Japanese Peace Pagoda in Unawatuna approximately six kilometres away that comes complete with a breathtaking view of the ocean.
- Or shop for some clothes, souvenirs or even art in the many shops in the Fort.
- Or if a lazy day on the beach is what you are looking for, hop on a tuk-tuk and go to Unawatuna or Hikkaduwa and enjoy time at the beach reading a book and grabbing a bite at a seaside restaurant sipping some local beer.
For those in Galle, Yoho Hotel Apna comes recommended as it is close to the many attractions in the city. It is also a great location if you want to sightsee or even have relaxing holiday has the hotel comes with an in-restaurant. The best part, it is a very budget-friendly location.
Another great stay in the city is Yoho Dutch Street Among the best places to stay in Galle, the hotel is close to many attractions, restaurants and entertainment options and is also quite affordable.
So planning a small getaway? Galle is the place to go. It is a great location when taking into consideration the distance, affordability and the many things to keep everyone in the family entertained. The hotels in Galle are unlimited and if you are looking for something affordable and centralised, then our properties liested above will not fail to disappoint.
Featured image of Japanese Peace Pagoda by Muradh Mohideen.